Costa Del Mar recently launched their “Kick Plastic” Recycling Program which raises awareness and provides solutions for reducing plastic waste in the oceans. Costa was #BornOnTheWater by a group of fishermen in 1983. Since then, they have supported causes that contribute to the preservation of our watery world. Lately they’ve seen an increasing amount of plastic pollution on their adventures. Plastic is not only clogging our landfills but is finding its way into our waterways and oceans at an unprecedented rate.
Facts you should know:
- The equivalent of a garbage truck of plastic is dumped into the ocean every minute.
- Almost all the plastic ever produced is still around.
- 98% of ocean pollution comes from land.
- By 2050 there could be more plastic than fish in the ocean (by weight).
- One in four fish tested have plastic in them.
Opticians, Optometry and Ophthalmology practices can help by recycling these lenses:
- Clear, tinted, photochromic or sunglass demo lenses
- Mirrored or AR coated lenses
- Broken or scratched lenses
- Rx lenses
- CR-39 lenses
- Polycarbonate lenses
- Trivex/hivex lenses
- Hi Index (1.67/1.74) lenses
- NO glass lenses
All you do is collect and return to the closest location listed, and your plastic lenses are repurposed into new plastic products! Don’t worry about separating the lenses, all plastic lens are welcomed. The only fee acquired is your cost of shipping the lenses to Piedmont Plastics. Locations to send lenses:
2175 Mason Ave
Daytona Beach, FL 32117
17000 Valley View Ave
La Mirada, CA 90638
If you are a Costa dealer, you can be a part of our #KickPlastic Ambassador Program at no cost and your office will receive a Plastic Lens Recycle Box for collection, as well as many other benefits for joining our Kick Plastic community – Please reach out to LensRecycle@costadelmar.com for details.